Firholm Day Unit (Peebles)
What we do:
Firholm day unit provides day care services in the community for elderly people with Dementia.
When are we open:
The unit is open Monday to Friday 8.45am-4.30pm and can accommodate up to sixteen people attending each day.
About our services:
The day unit is set up to meet the needs of elderly people with Dementia whilst enabling them to continue to live in their own home environment.
We aim to provide a high standard of care and promote independence and well being.
We will achieve this by
- Continuous assessment and review of each clients physical, psychological, social and individual needs.
- Involving both the client and their carer in planning their package of care together with their named nurse.
- Close liaisons with GPs, MHOAT team, Social Work, Physiotherapists, Dentists etc to co-ordinate the clients care.
- Providing care from experienced qualified staff who specialise in the field of psychogeriatrics who strive to improve their knowledge and maximise their professional development.
Our primary role is assessment. We presently have four to six assessment places where new clients are encouraged to attend five days each week for approximately six weeks until a diagnosis has been made and a personalised package of care organised.
We have 12 long term places for clients to attend on a regular basis depending on their individual needs and home circumstances.
Day unit Activities
The activities at Firholm are based on reality orientation, reminiscence and are appropriate to individual needs. Clients are encouraged to participate in activities of their interest for stimulation and socialisation.
- Current affairs and discussion groups
- Exercise groups
- Reminiscence groups
- Word games, crosswords, quizzes
- Musical sessions
- Slide/video shows
- Sewing and knitting
- Carpet games, bowls, quoits, skittles
Transport is provided by the Ambulance Patient Transport Service for clients staying in Peebles. We have limited transport for clients staying in the outlying areas however this is currently being addressed.
The unit is staffed by qualified nurses who have undergone special training in the care of people with dementia.
Firholm is a Day Centre not a Day Hospital therefore we are unable to provide a service to clients who are in need of nursing care due to physical problems and/or due to a severe deterioration in the illness.
How to access our services:
All referrals are to the unit via Social Work or the clients General Practitioner and are made to the Mental Health for the Old Age Team , who are based at Melburn Lodge, BGH.
Firholm Day Unit
01721 720544 General Tel.
01721 724063 Fax